How to change default values for "Workflow Path" and "Test File Path" for the hosted workflow

Hello,
I created hosted workflow using Swagger UI and see default parameters values set for the workflow:
Workflow Path: /Dockstore.cwl
Test File Path :/test.json

I have two questions:

1. What is the purpose of the “Test File Path” parameter?
  2. How can I create the hosted workflow without setting this “Test File Path” parameter? (remove the file once the workflow is created using PATCH request?)
  3. Is there a way to set my own values for these parameters using Swagger UI POST request when I create the hosted workflow? I tried setting request parameter “workflow_path” or “defaultWorkflowPath” but neither one worked.

Thanks,
Masha

Hi Masha. Here’s some answers that might help:

1. The “test file path” points at a test input file that users can use to run your workflow. The contents of the test file will vary, but could look something like: https://dockstore.org/api/ga4gh/trs/v2/tools/%23workflow%2Fgithub.com%2FGA4GH-DREAM%2Fdockstore-workflow-helloworld%2Fdockstore-workflow-helloworld/versions/1.0.0/PLAIN-CWL/descriptor/%2Ftest.cwl.json
  2. In a hosted CWL workflow, the primary descriptor path is always set to /Dockstore.cwl, and the test file path to /test.json.
  3. These paths are set to the above values at workflow creation time and can’t be changed.

For examples of how to create and add files to a hosted workflow, take a look at our integration tests:

And please, let us know if you have any other questions!

Best regards,
Steve

Hi Steve,

Thank you so much for your prompt response and clarifications.

I see, too bad about the hardcoded names for the CWL files as Dockstore supports custom filenames for other types of the workflows (GitHub hosted ones, for example). May I ask why hosted workflows don’t allow custom filenames? Is there a plan to add such support?

Thank you for the pointer to example Java code on how to upload files to the hosted workflow. I got it working from Python already :slight_smile:

Thank you,
Masha

1 Like

Hi Masha. Glad to hear that your Python workflow creator is working!

Regarding the hardcoded file names in hosted workflows, I believe that we decided on that design to simplify the feature and make it easier to implement and use. At present, I’m not aware of plans to change it, but to formally push us in that direction, please do file an issue on our github repo. :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Steve

1 Like