Sharing Workflows

For Dockstore 1.5.0+

Starting in Dockstore 1.5, a limited sharing functionality has been introduced. With sharing, you no longer have to choose to make a workflow either completely private or completely public. You can share workflows with specific accounts, giving those other users either owner, write, or read permissions. This allows you to collaborate with a smaller set of users without making the workflow public to everyone.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://docs.dockstore.org/docs/publisher-tutorials/sharing-workflows/

Hi,

Are there any workarounds for sharing workflows with other users that are imported from github?

(I think that’s the reason why I’m not seeing the Permissions tab)

1 Like

This indeed is a needed feature. ATM only the person who added the tool into dockstore has the ability to set tests etc…what is the plan for enabling sharing for github hosted tools?

Hey,

If you both are in the same organisation on GitHub, then you can both access the workflow on the My Workflows page, even if the workflow is not published. If you are able to see it on your My Workflows page but someone else isn’t, they can click the Refresh All button and the workflow should appear. Both of you should be able to view and edit the workflow. You can read more about this in our FAQ.

For your second point, there is another form of sharing that we have which you can read about on our docs site. This is for sharing workflows so that only particular accounts can view the workflow. You need to connect your Google Account to share workflows, however currently this can only be done if your Google Account is registered with Terra. This is why you do not see anything in the permissions tab.

-Andrew

1 Like

Hey Yossi,

If all parties are part of the same Quay or GitHub organisation where the tool or workflow is from, then they should be able to view and edit the same entries on the My Tools/My Workflows pages. You can read more about this in our FAQ

-Andrew

That sounds great. I’m getting the following error when clicking on Refresh All.

Safari:
[HTTP 404] OK:
404 Not Found

404 Not Found

nginx/1.13.1

Firefox:
warning The webservice encountered an error.
[HTTP 404] Not Found: <html> <head><title>404 Not Found</title></head> <body bgcolor="white"> <center><h1>404 Not Found</h1></center> <hr><center>nginx/1.13.1</center> </body> </html> 

chrome
[HTTP 404] OK: <html> <head><title>404 Not Found</title></head> <body bgcolor="white"> <center><h1>404 Not Found</h1></center> <hr><center>nginx/1.13.1</center> </body> </html> <!-- a padding to disable MSIE and Chrome friendly error page --> <!-- a padding to disable MSIE and Chrome friendly error page --> <!-- a padding to disable MSIE and Chrome friendly error page --> <!-- a padding to disable MSIE and Chrome friendly error page --> <!-- a padding to disable MSIE and Chrome friendly error page --> <!-- a padding to disable MSIE and Chrome friendly error page -->

Hey bshifaw,

That is a strange error. I am going to look through logs to see if I can find the exact issue.

Hey bshifaw,

I get a similar error to the one you are seeing when I try and do a refresh all. I think it may be due to a timeout. If you manually refresh the browser window do you see new content being pulled in?